Friday, October 30, 2009

Oh such childish fun!

By: Nicole Twaddle

TWEET: Want to find out what fun childish activity I attempted? Then check out my blog at: http://tinyurl.com/yjad6mt #rublogs

Lying completely still allowing the suns warm rays to soak into my white skin, the stillness of nature all round me. This was what I had been craving for so long. To take sometime away from all of the work that had been piling up, and just relax and do absolutely nothing.

The botanical gardens was my place of choice, along with a group of friends, also dying to be out in the glorious summer day away from the many assignments, tutorials and studying to be done. The grass was crisp, the sun shone brightly and the gardens were in perfect condition, giving rise to the perfect day to be outside.

It was while laying in absolute stillness that madness began to take over from being cooped up in our rooms all this time, away from the sunshine and fresh air. The stress had clearly taken its toll as there was the sudden urge to try something different, something that had not been done for what felt like forever. It was time to act like children, while attempting cartwheels and handstands.



This fever began to entice the rest of the group, as soon plenty of us were attempting the childhood fun. A competition soon developed and people began to compete for the best handstand and cartwheel.

I admit that at first the childish display of cartwheels and handstands was not appealing. I was more than happy to remain on the blanket basking in the sun, however I could not contain it when I saw all of my friends engaging in a childish activity that confirmed to still give them as much joy as it did when they were mere children. I therefore had to try it. It proved to be just what I needed. I thought that just lying still in the sun was relaxation, but this simple childish activity was indeed more relaxing, the kind of outlet of stress that cannot be bought. The fun lasted for what felt like an hour, however was only 20 minutes, but it was the best 20 minutes I have spent in a very long time.

So the next time I feel stressed out and in need of relaxation away from work, I shall try something different, because it just might be the outlet I need for my stress. I enjoyed getting in touch with my childish side, because it proved that one can never be too old to try new things, or old, things.

0 comments: